History of the University of Yangon Library

When University of Yangon was opened in 1920, the library was not built yet. To built the library, Rao Bahadur Sithamlera Reddier, L.L.D donated Rupees 200,000/-. The fund raising committee also provided Rupees 130,000/- including book fund Rupees 30,000/- for the construction of the library building. So, the new library was built with the fund of Rupee 330,000/-. Architect T.O. Foster specially designed the first modern library building in Myanmar. On December 8, 1927, Sir Hercourt Butler, the Governor as well as Chancellor of the university laid the foundation stone.

Read More...