16 December 2017
It is our pleasure to invite international and national scholars to the International Conference of University and National Development. The conference is jointly organized by the University of Yangon and the Centre of Excellence on Urban and Regional Development (University of Yangon) in collaboration with the University of Cologne, Germany, and the Geographical Association of Myanmar (GAM). It will take place at the University of Yangon on 16th December 2017.
The University of Yangon was established in 1920 and is the first university of Myanmar. On the occasion of its 97th Anniversary in 2017, it is the aim of the International Conference to contribute to the transformation processes in Myanmar. Multidisciplinary topics, approaches and perspectives will be applied in order to support a vivid exchange beyond disciplinary borders and to enhance scientific networks.
The aims of the Conference are:
- to create a platform of academic discussion for Myanmar scholars on the importance of the transformation processes in the country,
- to widen the scope of discussions within the University of Yangon to connected institutions and to the public, and
- to enhance the relationship between the University of Yangon and international universities.
Topics of sessions
- Environmental threats in the transformation process of Myanmar
- Economic challenges in the transformation process of Myanmar
- Socio-cultural potentials in the transformation process of Myanmar
- Rural and urban options in the transformation process of Myanmar
Link to the conference website: www.uy.edu.mm
In order to enable discussion within the scientific community, we are planning to publish a special issue of the new, reviewed Myanmar Journal of Urban and Regional Development.
Deadline for the submission of abstract: 3 December 2017.
Travel and accommodation
Unfortunately no travel and accommodation support can be given, but speakers do not need to pay any conference and registration fees.
- Prof. Dr. Pho Kaung, Rector, University of Yangon (Chair Person)
- Prof. Dr. Aung Kyaw, Pro-Professor, University of Yangon (Member)
- Prof. Dr. Frauke Kraas, Professor, Institute of Geography, University of Cologne (Member)
- Prof. Dr. Htun Ko, Head of Department of Geography, University of Yangon (Member)
- Prof. Dr. Khin Saw Nwe, Professor, Department of History, University of Yangon (Member)
- Prof. Dr. Yin Myo Thu, Professor of International Relations Department, University of Yangon (Member)
- Prof. Dr. Thandar Aye, Professor of Botany Department, University of Yangon (Member)
- Dr. Khin Khin Soe, Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Yangon (Secretary)
- Dr. Zin Mar Than, Research Fellow, University of Cologne and Centre of Excellence (CoE), University of Yangon (Secretary)
Prof. Dr. Pho Kaung, Rector of the University of Yangon